For more information regarding Aledade, contact:
CMS Results Are In: Aledade ACOs Improve Care, Lower Costs, and Earn Shared Savings in Medicare Program
Reflects success of Aledade’s ACOs across all types of value-based payer contracts in 2017
Bethesda, MD — September 10, 2018 – Today, Aledade, Inc. released the CMS-audited findings of its Medicare Shared Savings Program (MSSP) ACOs showing that they saved Medicare and American taxpayers more than $40 million in 2017. All of Aledade’s ACOs enrolled in the MSSP improved the quality of care and health of their patients, while a majority of Aledade’s experienced ACOs earned shared savings payments totaling more than $19 million. The success that CMS found reflects what Aledade’s unique, physician-led ACO model was able to do across all types of value-based payer contracts, including Medicare, Medicare Advantage, and fully- and self-insured commercial populations.
“We are proud of the latest Medicare results, which reflect the hard work and quality care delivered by our national network of independent providers. There is no longer any question that physician-led value-based care can cut costs through better care,” said Farzad Mostashari, MD, founder and CEO of Aledade. “We look forward to building on this momentum to continue expanding our value-based model to more communities, payers, and populations.”
The six Aledade ACOs that earned shared savings payments from the MSSP in 2017 are:
- The Aledade Delaware ACO, with practices spread across all three counties, which reduced hospitalizations by 13%, saved Medicare $5.7 million, and earned a quality score of 96 percent, as the only ACO in the state to earn savings in the MSSP.
- The Aledade Florida ACO, centered in the greater Orlando area, which reduced hospitalizations by 9%, laboratory costs by 14%, and unnecessary procedures by 7%. The ACO overall saved Medicare $7.7 million and earned a quality score of 99 percent.
- The Aledade Mississippi ACO, made up of practices throughout the state and southwest Tennessee, which reduced hospitalizations by 9%, cut unnecessary home health spending by $4.8 million, saved Medicare $9.8 million, and earned a quality score of 95 percent.
- The Aledade West Virginia ACO, centered in greater Charleston area, which reduced emergency department visits by 18%, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease admissions by 22%, and hospitalizations by 16%. The ACO overall saved Medicare $6.3 million and earned a quality score of 96 percent.
- The Family Health ACO, led by three New York State federally qualified health centers, which reduced days spent in skilled nursing facilities by 22%, psychiatric hospitalization costs by 8%, and saved Medicare $4 million, while earning a quality score of 83 percent.
- The Aledade Freedom ACO, in Chester and Montgomery County, PA, which reduced hospital readmissions by 9%, emergency department visits by 18%, saved Medicare $8.9 million, and received a 100 percent quality score.
The experienced Aledade ACOs that improved quality of care and health outcomes, but did not earn shared savings in 2017 were:
- The Aledade Primary Care ACO with practices in Virginia, West Virginia, New York, and Maryland, which reduced hospital readmissions and total hospital discharges by 16%.
- The Aledade Louisiana ACO, which reduced hospitalizations by 6%, skilled nursing facility discharges by 23%, and reduced unnecessary home health spending by $2.6 million. The ACO did earn shared savings in its contract with Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Louisiana.
- The Aledade Kansas ACO, which reduced hospital readmissions down from 15% to 13%, cut congestive heart disease admissions by 23%, total hospital discharges by 12%, and emergency department visits by 11%. The ACO did earn a shared savings in its contract with Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Kansas.
Moreover, every practice in all of Aledade’s ACOs earned an exceptional quality bonus payment in 2019 for their performance in the 2017 MACRA MIPS program.
Aledade ACOs lowered the total cost of care for their Medicare patients by improving quality of care and health outcomes, expanding access to primary care services, and emphasizing preventive care. Through these efforts, Aledade ACOs have more than doubled preventive care visits and transitional care services in each of the three prior ACO program years. In addition, unnecessary emergency department visits and readmissions have both continually declined across Aledade ACOs, according to Medicare data. In fact, patients in Aledade ACOs have seen a 7 percent reduction in total hospitalizations and a 20 percent reduction in skilled nursing facility utilization.
Founded in 2014, Aledade’s Accountable Care network has grown to include 300 independent physician practices, health centers, and clinics across 20 Accountable Care Organizations (ACOs) in 18 states. These ACOs now deliver care across 30 value-based payer contracts with Medicare, Medicare Advantage, Medicaid, and commercial health plans.
At the heart of the Aledade model is the simple, but radical, idea that Aledade only succeeds when partner practices succeed in lowering cost to payers through better care to patients. Aledade offers its partners a comprehensive range of capabilities that include: cutting-edge data analytics, user-friendly guided workflows, unparalleled regulatory expertise, strong payer relationships, and local, hands-on support from attentive experts.
Founded in 2014, Aledade partners with independent practices, health centers, and clinics to build and lead Accountable Care Organizations (ACOs) anchored in primary care. Through these ACOs, Aledade empowers physicians to stay independent, practice medicine like they’ve always wanted to, and thrive financially by keeping people healthy. Aledade offers a comprehensive range of capabilities that include cutting-edge data analytics, user-friendly guided workflows, unparalleled regulatory expertise, strong payer relationships, and local, hands-on support from attentive experts. In true alignment with its partners, Aledade shares in the risk and reward across all of its 30 value-based governmental and commercial contracts covering more than 300,000 lives in 18 states. To learn more, visit www.aledade.com or follow on Twitter or Facebook.